Sweet Potato and Chilli Soup
For the soup
- 1 kg raw sweet potato
- 1 large white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 red chillis
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1-2 litres vegetable stock
- 100 g creme fraiche (optional)
- A pinch of salt and pepper
For the croutons
- 200 g bread (preferably slighty stale)
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- A handful of fresh parsley
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into rough 1cm cubes before setting aside. Next, roughly chop the onion, chillis and garlic and set aside into another bowl.
- Place a large pot onto a high heat and add the oil, followed by the onion, garlic and chillis. Cook for 3 minutes before adding in the sweet potatoes and thyme for another 10 minutes.
- Next, cover the vegetables with vegetable stock and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and leave to simmer with a lid on for a further 20 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat and leave the soup mixture to cool down. Meanwhile, it’s time for the croutons!
- Soften the butter in the microwave for 10-30 seconds. Crush the garlic and finely chop the parsley and mix into the butter.
- Cut the bread into small cubes and mix it with the butter in a bowl until the butter is evenly distributed. Then, put the butter-soaked bread into a hot oven on a baking tray for around 25-35 minutes (until golden brown and crunchy), turning half way.
- Once cooled, blend the soup in a food processor. Then place back into the pot and heat through until it’s steaming and ready!
Nutrition (per serving)
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for the outcome of any recipe that you use from this site. Results may vary due to variations in ingredients, cooking times, errors, omissions or other factors. You should always take care to make sure you prepare and cook food in a safe way, using safe ingredients and make sure that food is cooked properly. You should also make sure to read ingredient packaging, making note of the preparation instructions provided and to be fully aware of any substances that may cause you or others to have an adverse reaction. The recipes on this site may not have been fully tested by us and we do not provide assurances or accept responsibility for their quality or safety.