Our skillet peach and basil cobbler is a lovely twist on the classic dessert we all know and love. This unique dish combines the sweetness of tinned peaches with the freshness of basil, a wonderful blend of flavors.
The cobbler is baked in a skillet, adding some rustic charm to the presentation. The basil infuses the peaches with a herbaceous note, enhancing the overall taste profile. Add more or less basil depending on how adventurous you’d like to be – we recommend around 10 large leaves.
As the cobbler bakes in the oven, the peaches bubble in their sweet juices. They mingle with the fragrant basil and create a really interesting flavour combination. The biscuit topping turns golden brown and slightly crispy on the outside, while remaining tender and fluffy on the inside. You’ll taste the creamy butter within. When served warm, each spoonful of skillet peach and basil cobbler offers a contrast of textures and an unexpected burst of flavors, making it a memorable and irresistible dessert for any occasion.
Peach and Basil Skillet Cobbler
- 60 g unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
- 70 g plain flour (1/2 cup)
- 220 g brown sugar (1.5 cups)
- 120 ml whole milk (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cans peach slices in fruit juice
- 10 basil leaves
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, milk, baking powder, salt, and 160g of sugar. Stir well until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed and form a batter. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Add the peaches and their juice, along with 60g of sugar, into a pan. Heat the mixture on the stove until the liquid volume significantly reduces, the peach slices become sticky and the sugar completely dissolves. Be patient, this can take up to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Finely chop the basil leaves and add them to the peach mixture.
- Place a skillet on the stove and heat it up. Add the butter to the skillet and let it melt completely. Once the butter has melted, pour the batter into the skillet, followed by the peach mixture. Make sure to spread the peaches evenly across the batter.
- Immediately transfer the skillet to the preheated oven. Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 25-30 minutes, or until the top turns golden brown and the edges are crispy.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven using heatproof oven mitts. Allow the dish to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy your delicious peach and basil skillet dessert!
Nutrition (per serving)
If this peach and basil skillet cobbler didn’t do it for you, check out our other desserts here! Make sure to spend some time browsing our selection of inventive creme brûlées. Or, try our crowd pleasing biscoff banoffee pie.
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for the outcome of any recipe that you use from this site. Results may vary due to variations in ingredients, cooking times, errors, omissions or other factors. You should always take care to make sure you prepare and cook food in a safe way, using safe ingredients and make sure that food is cooked properly. You should also make sure to read ingredient packaging, making note of the preparation instructions provided and to be fully aware of any substances that may cause you or others to have an adverse reaction. The recipes on this site may not have been fully tested by us and we do not provide assurances or accept responsibility for their quality or safety.