Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread
- 180 g finely ground cornmeal/cornflour
- 90 g plain flour
- 75 g grated mature cheddar
- 3 large jalapenos
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 250 ml buttermilk
- 100 ml milk
- 2 medium eggs
- 90 g unsalted butter
- Preheat a 8-12 inch skillet in an oven at 220°C or 425 °F. The size and depth of your cornbread skillet can impact cooking times slightly. Make sure to check that a knife comes out of the center of the cornbread clean to verify that it is fully cooked before serving.
- Finely dice the jalapenos and remove the seeds. Add them to a medium heat pan without oil and cook slowly, moving them around constantly. After a few minutes they'll start to brown. At this point, remove them from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked jalapenos, cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cheddar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and add the milk and buttermilk. Microwave 60g (2/3) of the butter for 30 seconds to melt. Wait for it to cool slightly and then add to the wet mixture and stir.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures together and stir until you get a consistent cornbread batter with no wet or dry/powdery spots.
- Remove the cast iron skillet from the oven. Add the remaining (30g) butter directly to the skillet and allow to fully melt. It should sizzle and melt quickly if your skillet has been preheated properly.
- As soon as the butter has completely melted, add the cornbread mixture to the skillet. Place back in the oven for around 25-30 minutes. You'll know it's done when a knife, poked into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving warm with some extra butter. Optionally, spread honey over the top of the cornbread for extra sweetness.
Nutrition (per serving)
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for the outcome of any recipe that you use from this site. Results may vary due to variations in ingredients, cooking times, errors, omissions or other factors. You should always take care to make sure you prepare and cook food in a safe way, using safe ingredients and make sure that food is cooked properly. You should also make sure to read ingredient packaging, making note of the preparation instructions provided and to be fully aware of any substances that may cause you or others to have an adverse reaction. The recipes on this site may not have been fully tested by us and we do not provide assurances or accept responsibility for their quality or safety.