Candied Orange Peel
- 8 oranges
- 750 g granulated sugar
- Cut each of the oranges into around 8 segments and use a small knife to remove the flesh from the peel. Cut the peel into long, thin strips. Discard the flesh or squeeze it to make orange juice!
- Cover the orange peel with water in a pot. Bring to the boil on a high heat, turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain the liquid through a seive and add the peel back into the same pot. Cover with fresh water, bring to the boil again and this time simmer for 30 minutes.
- Drain the peel once more but this time keep the water. Add 500g granulated sugar to the water and dissolve it over a medium heat, leaving the peel to one side for now.
- Add the peel back in and bring back to the boil on a high heat. Turn down the heat and simmer the peel in the syrup for 50 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for around an hour to 90 minutes.
- Drain away the syrup, leaving only the peel. Dry the peel with paper towels before spreading evenly onto a large baking tray. Place in an oven at 50°C for an hour.
- Remove the peel from the oven and cover in sugar. Make sure to move the peel around in the sugar to ensure that all sides are covered.
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for the outcome of any recipe that you use from this site. Results may vary due to variations in ingredients, cooking times, errors, omissions or other factors. You should always take care to make sure you prepare and cook food in a safe way, using safe ingredients and make sure that food is cooked properly. You should also make sure to read ingredient packaging, making note of the preparation instructions provided and to be fully aware of any substances that may cause you or others to have an adverse reaction. The recipes on this site may not have been fully tested by us and we do not provide assurances or accept responsibility for their quality or safety.