There are loads of ways to make a stroganoff. We think the acidity from wine and lemon juice with the creaminess of the crème fraîche and richness of the butter, steak and stock makes this a beef stroganoff to remember.
Cook it like we do; quickly in a pan, or if you’ve got time for low and slow, place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and just add the crème fraîche before serving. Either way it’ll be great!
One thing to bear in mind if you are using a slow cooker is to increase the amount of lemon juice and skip the wine. Slow cookers don’t reach the same temperatures as cooking on a stove so you’ll struggle to burn off the alcohol.
- 285 g rump steak
- 15 g plain flour
- 250 ml beef stock
- 100 g half fat creme fraiche
- 1 brown onion
- 15 g unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 50 ml white wine
- 200 g mushrooms (preferably chestnut)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Juice of half a lemon
- Handful of parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mince the garlic, finely slice the mushrooms and onion and slice the steak. Set all aside.
- Cook the onions and garlic in the butter and half of the olive oil for a few minutes in a large pan on medium heat until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and season with the paprika, salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the mushrooms have softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Dust the steak in the flour. Turn the heat up to high, add the remaining oil and fry the steak until seared but still pink inside.
- Add the mushroom mixture back in along with the wine and lemon juice and reduce on a medium heat until the liquid has nearly disappeared. Then, add in hot beef stock and cook for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add creme fraiche and serve with parsley and rice or mash.
Nutrition (per serving)
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for the outcome of any recipe that you use from this site. Results may vary due to variations in ingredients, cooking times, errors, omissions or other factors. You should always take care to make sure you prepare and cook food in a safe way, using safe ingredients and make sure that food is cooked properly. You should also make sure to read ingredient packaging, making note of the preparation instructions provided and to be fully aware of any substances that may cause you or others to have an adverse reaction. The recipes on this site may not have been fully tested by us and we do not provide assurances or accept responsibility for their quality or safety.